By Carmen Dobrovie-Sorin
Read or Download The Syntax of Romanian PDF
Best grammar books
The Derivation of Anaphoric relatives resolves a conspicuous challenge for Minimalist conception, the it seems that representational nature of the binding stipulations. Hicks adduces a huge number of proof opposed to the binding stipulations utilizing at LF and builds upon the insights of contemporary proposals through Hornstein, Kayne, and Reuland by means of decreasing them to the middle narrow-syntactic operations (specifically, Agree and Merge).
This ebook is the 1st complete presentation of practical Discourse Grammar, a brand new and demanding conception of language constitution. The authors set out its nature and origins and convey the way it pertains to modern linguistic concept. They reveal and try its explanatory energy and descriptive software opposed to linguistic proof from over one hundred fifty languages throughout quite a lot of linguistic households.
Meant for English clients all over the world, this e-book deals unique rationalization of contemporary written Mongolian. This booklet positive aspects: ? grammar constructions which are effortless to appreciate ? concise spelling ideas of contemporary written Mongolian ? a large number of practices for college students to paintings independently with solutions given ?
- Punctuation at Work: Simple Principles for Achieving Clarity and Good Style
- A Guide to Better Punctuation
- A Grammar of Contemporary English
- Advanced Language Patterns Mastery
Additional info for The Syntax of Romanian
Ii) Si yo vivo, DOBLAR vos he la soldada (OS) If 1 live, DOUBLE you I-have the wages 'If I live, I will double your pay'. Auxiliaries and the structure of IP constituents 29 1. 4. 1. Auxiliary inversion and the ECP Let us now consider the underlying representation of examples (63), assuming (a) the structure of Romanian auxiliary constructions proposed previously and (b) that the relevant type of movement is head movement of the verb. The hypothesis in (b) is underspecified, and this allows two distinct possibilities concerning the element affected by movement.
38 It is however reasonable to assume that participial VPs are governed by an Infi node (see Kayne (1987)), which has not been inserted in (43); if this hypothesis is correct, we must explain why, in Romance languages other than Romanian, participial Infi is not an adequate host for clitics (be they pronouns or auxiliaries). One may suggest that Infi can be a host for clitics only if it triggers V-to-I movement, but not if it is subject to Affix-hopping. If this is correct, we would have to show that in Romance languages other than Romanian, participial Infi is subject to Affixhopping.
4. 3. Inverted conjugations and relativized minimality Let us now assume Rizzi's (1990: 7) relativized definition of the ECP, which imposes a stronger condition for the case at hand: (76) Relativized Minimality: X a-govems [a-governs = th- or antecedent-governs] Y only if there is no Ζ such that: (i) Ζ is a typical potential a-governor for Y; (ii) Ζ c-commands Y and does not c-command X. Consider again (65): the auxiliary is a potential antecedent governor for the trace of the raised verb, 39 and by virtue of (76) this would lead to an ECP violation.